Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Townhouse Conundrum

It has been 6 months since we moved our family from a single family home into our amazing townhouse!
There are soooooo many things that make townhouse living awesome!  No yard work is def a huge up to our move!  Derik's crazy work schedule made yard work a NO GO, and we refused to pay someone to do it.  SO... it looked like we lived in the Amazon jungle!  Another huge perk is the MUCH cheaper power bill.  Since we are an interior unit, we are insulated by the townhouse on either side of ours, which makes our power bill less year around.  We absolutely love all of the charm that this house has.  The 2 story living room ceiling certainly adds drama to the home.  The columns, wainscoting, and rich hardwood floors give the house a much more formal appearance.  And one of our favorite things is the rubbed bronze finishes throughout the home.  We also have a beautiful kitchen.  Honestly, I think the kitchen is really what sold us both on the house.  Granite counter tops, custom cabinets, built in wine rack, convection over, pull out drawers... I could go on and on!  Here are a few pictures of the kitchen we love so dearly!

The hood over the stove, and the drawers below it are so perfect!

Plenty of counter and cabinet space!

Wine rack above the fridge, and convection oven!

However, there is one thing about this kitchen that was driving me nuts!!!  I had a vision, but I just didn't know how I could actually make the vision a reality!  Since we are a middle unit townhouse, and our sink faces a side wall, there was dead wall space above it.  It seemed so empty, and it felt naked!

SO... I went to Pinterest!  What else?!?!  However, I couldn't find ANY ideas for a wall like this.  I searched for a LONG time and I finally found something that I thought I could make work!  
This frame at Target was originally $30.  I would never have paid that, but when I stumbled onto a clearance section that was hiding them for $17.48... I decided to go ahead and purchase one!

When we moved into this house, I bought a paint sample from Behr called "Newport Blue".  It was only a few dollars, and I have literally used it to paint every project I have done since we moved in!  Everything looks like it was meant to go together, because it all matches!  I LOVE IT!  So I pulled out my paint, and a white tea light candle.  I removed the backing and both pains of glass from the frame, and then removed all of the hardware.  I popped the tea light out of the metal tin it sits in and rubbed it all over the frames edges.
Then I painted the frame with the blue.  I didn't try and get a FULL coat, I was fine with brushstrokes being visible.  I made sure to get the inside ridge, and the outside edge all around.  After the paint was dry, I used a sanding block to distress it!

Then I added the hardware back to the frame, and secured the back!  

I ordered a print of our family OUTDOORS, because I wanted it to look as if you were really looking out a window over the sink.  The frame size was odd because it wasn't intended for one large print, but Poster Print Factory allows you to print large prints in ANY dimensions for a reasonable cost.
I used Command Strips Picture Hanging Strips to secure it to the tile.  These strips are awesome, because they are almost like high quality velcro!  The frame just snaps to the wall, so I can change the picture out next year, IF I DECIDE I WANT AN UPDATE!!  I stuck the strips to the frame and placed it on the wall.

After I had it placed, I took it down, and cut the photo to fit into the frame!
AND (drum roll please.....)  This is the final product!
I JUST LOVE IT!  
I plan to purchase a motion sensor under cabinet light for this area, and I am finished!
Total cost of this project was about $45.  That might sound like a lot, but I got the look I was going for!  And having a design that you are happy with is PRICELESS!

Jessica Farrar
Jessica Farrar

This is a short biography of the post author. Maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec vitae sapien ut libero venenatis faucibus nullam quis ante maecenas nec odio et ante tincidunt tempus donec.

1 comment: